Molten Metal Manipulation (M3)
Secure, high integrity reversible coatings and seals
Maximising our knowledge of metal-to-metal plugging technologies for oil and gas reservoir abandonments, we are developing Molten Metal Manipulation (M3) - a range of new alloys and application techniques - to provide high integrity, reversible metal seals for the nuclear industry, defence, humanitarian aid and a range of other sectors.
Molten Metal Manipulation for the Energy sector includes novel solutions for enhanced oil & gas recovery, including zonal formation isolation and well integrity management.
Molten Metal Manipulation for the Nuclear industry provides an innovative way of repairing cracks in storage tanks and other infrastructure.
Molten Metal Manipulation for Defence includes a ‘man-portable’ metal spray back-pack technology for repairs to ‘live leaks’ in the field and at sea.
Molten Metal Manipulation for Industry provides an innovative way of repairing leaks and fractures in pipes, plant and civil structures across a wide range of sectors.
Using specially developed alloy classes that can be applied in air or under water, we offer secure, high strength, reversible metal seals that can be used for sealing and encapsulation, and to repair leaks and cracks in storage tanks and civil structures. We have also developed a novel method of encapsulating materials using a low temperature metallic deposition system.
Rawwater M3 technology is based on our ability to manipulate low melting point bismuth alloys - which also possess high radioactive shielding capability - prior to complete solidification, to achieve repairs or provide metallic coatings.
Benefitting from our many years of expertise in materials science, Rawwater M3 alloys deliver extraordinary performance in the most challenging of environments. Their various attributes include:
- Application in air or under water
- Can withstand temperatures of 150°C for an 'anticipated' 3,000 years
- Can withstand pressures in excess of 4,500psi
- Are quickly applied - using different techniques for different applications
- Easily removed by reheating - leaving the surface exactly as it was before
- Can plug leak paths from 7 inches to 20 microns in diameter
- No surface preparation required prior to application
- Can be applied to fuel tanks and systems containing combustible media - without the need to degas
- Provide high radioactive shielding capability
- Can be applied to metals, ceramics, elastomers, polymers, composites and combinations
Demonstration of leak repair using low-temperature metallic deposition technology:
1. Water flows from ruptured steel canister
2. Metallic deposition stems the flow
3. The canister is sealed
Demonstration of low-temperature metallic deposition technology on raw egg:
Contact us for more information.